Dealing with angry or highly emotional people can cause significant stress, even for the most robust employees.
During this workshop, participants will learn key techniques for de-escalating and defusing highly emotional or angry people. Employees will understand how to recognise when situations are escalating and respond professionally to anger and conflict.
What this workshop covers
During this course, participants will learn:
- the psychology behind anger and the factors that influence someone’s anger style
- the hidden needs of angry people and how to meet them in any situation
- common triggers that inflame a heated situation and how to avoid them
- how managing interactions with upset customers effectively can be an opportunity to create long-term loyalty
- what happens during the Anger Energy Curve and Cycle
- how to promote calm and rational thinking, rather than reacting in the moment
- techniques to de-escalate and defuse angry or highly emotional people, including:
- The Anger De-escalation Framework
- Empathetic Statements
- Assertive Refusals (saying ‘no’ the right way)
- The Golden Rules of Defusing Anger
- how to exit situations involving toxic or threatening behaviour
- what resources and support are available (EAP, HR).
3 hours, half day or a full day.
Choose a course length that best suits your needs. Workshop inclusions may vary based on duration.